Nigeria’s government on Thursday retracted its announcement that another Chibok girl was free, saying she was not one of the 219 whose kidnapping more than three years ago caused global outrage.
The presidency said on Wednesday evening said that the teenager was picked up by the military after fleeing from Boko Haram group.
But spokesman for Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo Laolu Akande, later tweeted that the girl was a junior secondary school student from Chibok community.
Meanwhile, the #BringBackOurGirls group, which has been campaigning for the release of the Chibok girls, also said the girl’s name was not in their records. “
Boko Haram kidnapped 276 students from the Government Girls Secondary School in the remote town in Borno state on the evening of April 14, 2014.
Fifty-seven escaped in the hours that followed but 219 were not so lucky. Since then, 106 girls have been found, rescued or released, including 82 who were freed earlier this month in a prisoner swap deal for a number of Boko Haram suspects in custody.